Kounkuey Design Initiative
Position: Kibera Field Manager
Location: Kibera, Nairobi, Kenya
Language: English and Kiswahili
Start Date: February, 2012
Application Due: January 20, 2012
Kounkuey Design Initiative is currently looking for a Project Team Supervisor and Micro-Enterprise Program Manager in Kibera, Kenya. The Kibera Field Manager position will be divided as follows: 50% devoted to the overall direction and management of the Kibera Project teams and 50% for development, implementation, execution, and supervision of a Micro-Enterprise Program.
Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI) is an innovative international partnership specializing in the practices of architecture, landscape architecture, engineering and urban planning. KDI transforms impoverished communities by collaborating with residents to create low-cost, high-impact built environments – Productive Public Spaces – that improve their daily lives. KDI works in, Kenya, Haiti and the US and is a registered 501c3 in the United States and in the process of formal registration in Kenya.
KDI’s Productive Public Spaces include both physical improvements as well as economic opportunities that generate revenue for ongoing maintenance and individual income. KDI uses a participatory planning and design methodology for all aspects of project development. We currently have a team of 6 full-time and 2 part-time Kenyan staff that develop and monitor three projects – with more in development – in Kibera, Nairobi. Our Micro-Enterprise Program helps communities investigate the feasibility of potential income generating activities, provides business and technical training, and gives the community groups a micro-loan to launch each business. KDI then continues to assist and guide the business through their launch and start up phase. This program has grown rapidly since beginning in 2006 and now needs a more robust structure and dedicated manager to formalize the process and grow the program.
The Kibera Field Manager will be expected to perform the role of Kibera Project Team Supervisor and Micro-Enterprise Program Manager. As the Kibera Project Team Supervisor the employee will be responsible for coordinating staff reporting, relationship building, monitoring and evaluation, and ensuring that projects run efficiently and timely. As the Micro-Enterprise Program Manager the employee will be responsible for formalizing and implementing the Micro-Enterprise Program. The Program Manager position will be supervised by and liaise with the KDI Kenya Director.
The Kibera Field Manager will be responsible for a) formalizing the Micro-Enterprise Program and b) supervising the Kibera Project Team. Qualified candidates for the Kibera Field Manager position should have micro-enterprise and managerial expertise and experience. The qualified candidate should bring enthusiasm and desire to work with, teach, and learn from low-income communities and be part of what could be a challenging but rewarding organizational growth.
The candidate who fills the Kibera Field Manager position will have a unique opportunity to act as both Project Team Supervisor and to build a micro-enterprise/finance program from the ground up. With support from the existing KDI teams in Los Angeles and Nairobi, she or he will take the lead in the following:
Kibera Project Team Supervisor
- Provide Coordination and Support to the existing Kenya Team Staff consisting of community liaisons, design experts, contractor, and accountant.
- Ensure timely and efficient reporting of project progress.
- Provide oversight to Kenya staff in building community and government relationships.
- Provide monitoring and evaluation oversight and coordination by current Kenya staff.
- Communicate project progress with KDI Principal in Kenya and Los Angeles.
- Liaise with the KDI Kenya Director.
- Work with the existing Kenya Team to ensure implementation of KDI’s vision for our Kenya projects.
Develop policies and procedures for an efficient and in-depth micro-enterprise program.
- Structure guidelines for KDI involvement in establishing micro-enterprises at each KDI project site.
- Create best practices/controls to ensure honest reporting of enterprise incomes and expenditures.
- Write guidelines on business to business interaction
- Develop a strategy for assessing potential earning power and risk of new micro enterprises.
- Establish a clearly defined reporting network between the micro enterprises and KDI staff.
- Ensure compliance with KDI’s policies in support of non-discrimination, participation and anti-corruption.
- Establish a plan for efficient implementation and deployment of a micro-enterprise training program to include training modules on:
- Internet sales and financing
- Record keeping
- Professional conduct
- Design, manage, and provide technical assistance to community groups. Technical work will include conducting assessments, financial reporting, managing the development and delivery of training and technical assistance to community groups.
- Define, monitor and supervise roles, responsibilities and accounting frameworks for community groups, their enterprises, and the KDI field liaisons that represent them.
- Work directly with community micro-enterprises to help expand their business, find and assess new business opportunities, and become financially independent through healthy growth.
- Write timely reports on the progress of the enterprises for KDI staff, clients, funders, and other stakeholders.
KDI Loan Fund
- Establish rules and regulations for KDI micro-loan fund.
- Establish guidelines for applying for, accepting, and repaying loans by individual micro-enterprises.
- Manage the KDI Loan Fund in Kenya.
Savings and Loan
Develop guidelines for implementing a group savings and loan program to be used by individual micro-enterprises.
- Payment/repayment schedules
- Assist community members in the initial stages of creating and running their savings and loan program.
- Provide direct support to community members in running their savings and loan program.
- MBA or related MA graduate (Candidates with a BA may be considered with 5+ years of directly related micro-enterprise and project management experience).
- 2-5 years experience developing micro-enterprises and running community-based microfinance programs or savings and loans.
- At least 1-2 year managerial experience.
- Experience working with low-income communities.
- Experience working in developing countries (if not a Kenyan candidate).
- Understanding and experience in participatory planning methodology.
- Excellent technical writing and documentation ability.
- Capacity to present and explain information with clarity, learn from communities, and generate consensus.
- Proven success in contributing to a team-oriented environment.
- Proven ability to balance, prioritize and organize multiple tasks.
- High level of energy, creativity, flexibility, enthusiasm, self-confidence and initiative.
- Accuracy, attention to detail and awareness of deadlines.
- Familiarity with financial statement analysis and micro-enterprise business modeling.
- Strong understanding and experience in implementing micro-finance and savings and loans programs.
- Verified ability to resolve problems efficiently and to communicate resolutions clearly.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills of English and Kiswahili.
- Demonstrated knowledge of advanced techniques in planning, monitoring and controlling programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience with budgeting, resource allocation, and financial reporting.
- Strong management skills with proven capacity to direct, to influence and to motivate a project team.
- Fluency in design terminology a plus.
- An understanding of system level thinking and analysis.
- A hard working self-starter with initiative, and ability to set own priorities.
- Disposition to work in the field under challenging circumstances.
- Strong commitment to the social mission of KDI.
- A willingness to adhere to our principles of participatory design.
The Kibera Field Manager position will be for a 12-month period beginning in February 2012.
Compensation is commensurate with skills and experience in an emerging organization.
Please send your cover letter and resume to the attention of Jessica Bremner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference Kibera Field Manager in the subject line of your email.