POSITION: OPERATIONS MANAGER
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Start Date: Immediate
Application Due: February 15, 2012
Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI) is an innovative international partnership specializing in the practices of architecture, landscape architecture, engineering and urban planning. KDI transforms impoverished communities by collaborating with residents to create low-cost, high-impact built environments – Productive Public Spaces – that improve their daily lives. KDI works in, Kenya, Haiti and the US and is a registered 501c3 in the United States and is in the process of formal registration in Kenya.
Founded in 2006, KDI has now entered a very exciting period in the Organization’s life. Currently functioning as a start-up international development organization, KDI is poised for rapid long-term growth. As we grow we are looking for someone with excellent business operations acumen to take us to the next level. The Operations Manager will have the unique opportunity to work with a dynamic and growing organization.
The Operations Manager will work with closely with the Executive Director and Project Staff to achieve the financial and operational goals of the organization. The Operation Manager executes administrative, human resources, office operations, finance, and accounting functions. As a member of the team at a small, non-profit organization, the Operations Manager provides support for a growing organization. The Operations Manager must be prepared to personally execute all the tasks necessary for KDI’s successful business operations, which range from bookkeeping and accounting responsibilities to basic office management responsibilities. The Operations Manager will be responsible for ensuring the organization is compliant in all regulatory areas including keeping all employees educated in compliance matters and responsibilities. The Operations Manager will also be responsible for meeting all tax requirements including but not limited to donor needs, employee salary and benefit tax compliance, international tax laws, and tax filings for NGOs. The Operations Manager will be expected to improve, develop, and document the operational systems, processes, and policies in support of KDI’s mission — specifically, support better management reporting, information flow and management, business process, and organizational planning. The Operations Manager will play a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward operational excellence.
Administration and Office Operations
- Work closely with executive director in development and implementation of policies and procedures for:
- Board of Directors
- Accounting and Finance
- Prepare financial reports/presentation materials
- Participate in strategic planning process
- Define roles more clearly for directors, officers, interns, on-site project managers
- Oversee compliance with KDI policies and procedures
- Manage regulatory compliance for organizational operations
- Develop and manage compliance matters and responsibilities concerning KDI employees
Finance, Accounting, Budgeting, Financial Reporting and Cash Management
- Process bills and payroll
- Maintain “master” books (including uploading project books)
- Monitor actual spending (compared to budgeted amounts)
- Prepare monthly, annual financial reports
- Prepare quarterly, annual payroll tax reports
- Work with outside accountants, prepare annual information return (Form 990) and audited financial statements
- Manage budget process and prepare finalized budget documents – annual KDI budget and project budgets
- Oversee, maintain record of cash receipts and disbursements
- Collaborate with fundraising personnel
- Oversee project accountants
- Oversee implementation of new project accounting system
- Assist in budget creation for new projects
- Ensure compliance with restrictions on grants/donations
- Oversee compliance with tax issues including, but not limited to: donor needs, employee salary and benefit tax compliance, international tax laws, tax filings, etc.
- Review/audit project books and reconciliation reports
- Evaluate banking options, practices
- Number/type of accounts
- Fees (especially for wire transfers)
- USD vs. Local Currency
- Manage salary/wage/fee negotiations with Executive Director
- Manage fee-for-service negotiations and contracts
- Manage other organizational contracts
- Develop personnel contracts
- Manage Payroll
- Organize important electronic files/documents
- Develop, Implement, and document data sharing/backup system
- Evaluate other technology needs/options
- MBA graduate preferred
- 2-5 years experience work experience in the financial/accounting field.
- Experience working as a key employee in a start-up or non-profit is a plus
- Experience working with low-income communities
- Experience working in developing countries
- Mission driven
- Excellent technical writing and documentation ability
- Success in contributing to a team-oriented environment
- Ability to balance, prioritize and organize multiple tasks
- High level of energy, creativity, flexibility, enthusiasm, self-confidence and initiative
- Accuracy, attention to detail and awareness of deadlines
- A hard working self-starter with initiative, and ability to set own priorities
- Strong commitment to the social mission of KDI
- A willingness to adhere to our principles of participatory design
- Ability to work and think creatively with limited resources
- Excellent understanding of tax requirements and non-profit regulations
- Understanding of system level thinking and analysis
- Ability to resolve problems efficiently and to communicate resolutions clearly
- Fluency in accounting principles.
- Fluency in financial statement analysis
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English
- Knowledge of advanced techniques in planning, monitoring and controlling programs
- Knowledge of project management methodologies
- Experience with budgeting, resource allocation, and financial reporting.
- Fluency in design terminology a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation commensurate with skills in an emerging organization – opportunity to travel and generous holiday vacation benefits.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to Jessica Bremner at firstname.lastname@example.org